VIP Program at Howard University
Washington, DC 20059
Coordinator and PI: Dr. Charles Kim (CKIM@HOWARD.EDU)
Candidates of New VIP Projects: The following new project teams are under consideration. Juniors and Sophomores are encouraged to join. Other levels of students in all majors are accepted. If you're interested in this new project, send email to the VIP coordinator, Dr. Charles Kim, at email@example.com
1. Dr. Moses Owolabi (Mechanical Engineering):
2. A Bludger - A Drone: This project aims to combine robotics and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter to create an autonomous drone that will behave like the Bludgeor as depicted in the wizarding game of "quidditch." (Project Manager: Imani Oakley; Faculty Project Advisor: TBD) Read more.
3. Electro-Thermal Diagnosis of Power Electronic Chips and Board (Advisor: Dr. Charles Kim): This project aims to build a diagnostic system of power converters for use in mobile and transportation platforms by applying thermal and electronic sensing as well as thermo-electric chip cooling for high band-gap power devices installed in the converters. Read more. Qualified students will be recommend for summer research internships at University of Illinois, University of Arkansas, Stanford University, or Howard University. Check here for summer 2016 REU program. *NOTE: This project is made in to a team named DOPES (Diagnosis of Power Electronic Switches).
4. Dr. Claudia Marin (Civil Engineering):
VIP Elevator Pitch Event (L. K. Downing Hall, Reading Room 2019; 11:00 am - 1:00pm; Friday April 22, 2016) Deli Buffet Lunch will be provided): All VIP team members who are not Howard ECE Senior Students must particpate in this event. However, ECE Senior students and Project Managers, and Graudate Students are welcome to participate. More details of the Elevator Pitch Event. A Deli Buffet Lunch will be served for participants.
Spring 2016 SURVEY (Form in MS Word format and Form in PDF format)
Do you want to earn a credit for a (substitutable) course by joining a team and getting research experiences? Substitutable courses include, but not limited to, "Intro to EE/CpE", "Intro to ME,", or "Research Experience for UG students", "Senior Design", "Capstone Design," or a similarly named course. Then talk to your instructor of this opportunity and get the approval that you earn the course grade from VIP team participation. Also, check the VIP grading criteria.
* If you're interested in joining one of the teams below, please send inquiry to the VIP coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. Anyone, yeah anyone, can join.
HOWARD VIP Teams (2015-2016 Academic Year)